понедельник, сентября 10, 2007

In Which I Notice a Few Things

Life in Yaroslavl' turns out to be quite interesting. I've been getting used to taking the trolleybus into the old center of the city every morning – see Mom, I can take public transportation. Especially when a month-long student pass costs only around $5. Last Sunday I actually got a chance to see Mom and Joe when they were in town on their boat tour of Russia, which was really nice, if somewhat of a surprise. I had sent Mom an e-mail saying I probably wouldn't get a chance to see them on account of the orientation activities we had that morning, but I was standing outside of an internet cafe on ul. Nakhimsona near the Kremlin, when I felt a hand on my shoulder. It turned out to be my mom's hand, which came as quite a surprise. They had to go get back on their tour bus, and I had to continue doing orientation with the group, but I got to see my mom and stepdad for a few minutes, thousands of miles away from home. This weekend, on Friday night we had a meeting with IMKA, which is sort of the Russian version of YMCA, though without the Christian part, and with no association with the Village People. They have programs for little kids, teenagers, and students, most of which involve teaching English. It looks as if most of us will be doing some sort of program with them this semester. Anyways, we had a meeting with them on Friday night, which was quite a lot of fun. It was seven of the eight Middlebury program students, the two students here on a University of Nebraska program, and five or six Russian students and young people. We played some ice-breaker type games, and then participated in what seems to be one of their favourite activities – drinking tea. We were there in all for a couple of hours, and then some of us went to a cafe and hung out there until it was time to head home.

A quick note about assorted things I've noticed since I've been here – first, Russian men seem to love mullets. I'm not entirely sure why this might be, perhaps it's just because they're 20 years behind on everything. I usually watch Russian TV with my host during meals, and they way some of these people dress is really appalling. The women all have really big hair, way too much makeup, and really ugly clothing. And the men all seem to think that “business in the front, party in the back” is an acceptable formula for a hairstyle. Though I have on occasion seen some really strikingly beautiful women, who haven't succumbed to to the temptation to dress trashily. Speaking of hair-related issues – Teddy, you will be glad to note that my Russia beard is progressing nicely. I haven't shaved since I was in Estonia, which is coming up on two weeks ago. The problem is I'm in the itchy stage, and I really hope that ends soon. Because I don't know how much longer I can deal with that. Oh, another thing I've noticed – I really like to hear from people back home. So no matter who you are, by all means send me an e-mail or something every once in a while – it's very comforting to be able to freely communicate with people I care about. Well, I think that's it for now – I hope all of you are doing well in your respective countries, states, and cities.

Oh, and one more thing – I'll hopefully soon be putting up some pictures from around the city (including our very own statue of Lenin, on our very own Red Square), and from our trip to Tolgsky Monestary up the Volga a little ways. I'll have some more info on that soon.

2 комментария:

Unknown комментирует...

வானக்கம், சார்லொ-ஃபார்லொ. என்ன விசேஷம்? உங்களை ொளெ நானும் ரோம்ப அன்கிெலம்் பேசமுடியாது. உங்களொத மேசை என்றல் ரோம்ப சன்டோஷம். That means, roughly, welcome, charlo-farlot, what is special? like you, i cannot speak much english. that you have a moustache creates much happiness. (if you happen to know tamil script youll notice that my o's and e's are somewhat inverted, but thats the fault of computers and not my ignorance.)

im working on sending you something in the mail, and testing the language powers of indian and russian mail carriers, which should be exciting. feel free to do the same, hint hint.

Im excited to hear your fluent Russian tongue when youre all through. i bet youre improving far more than you realize just by stumbling through common interactions each day. In the two and a half weeks since ive been here already my communcative ability has increased exponentially, even though my vocabulary has stayed roughly constant.

A few notes: you should have pictures of yourself and your friends when you start posting, not just concrete buildings. Also, ease up on Russian fashions. I bet by the time youre through youll be wearing acid washed jeans and will discover a far more developed mullet than you ever imagined. It happened with me and moustaches and yellow plaid. In any case, they probably think you look like a total schlub, just because of the cultural difference. Oh well.

I realize this is a wicked long comment, but you said you liked communication. You should reciprocate on my blog (eaballar.blogr.com). Talk to you someday, though im not calling your cell. stay strong, bust out basketball skills with the ymca kids, and keep pouring tea down the old gullet. its the only way to be.
~e

Maggie комментирует...

I (and the rest of the Buenos Aires trend setters) am with Ellis on the trendy mullet. This is an historic occasion, the first time in eons that Paynesville has been more "with" worldwide trends than the rest of the U.S. This probably indicates that an apocalypse is nigh.

You should get Skype because I am not risking the cost of an sms to Yaroslavl.